Front View 910 Morrison Avenue
Starting from the time that I was four years old, my mother would take me to visit Grandpa Pete in St. Louis. We went every summer for two weeks. This house is where Grandpa lived during that time. The house is located at 910 Morrison Avenue, Saint Louis, Missouri. If you use Google maps, you can see the entire tree lined street. As I remember it, the street was always tree lined; however, when I visited Grandpa the neighborhood wasn't as grand as it is these days.
The house was built in 1890 and includes 2,428 square feet with four bedrooms and two baths. According to real estate records, the house has been subdivided into a residence and a one-bedroom, one-bath condo. When grandpa had the house, he frequently had tenants on the first and second floor. He lived in the attic apartment. I remember a simple but elegant dark wood stairway that ran along the right side of the house. It went up three stories to the attic with a large landing on the second floor. When I was older, Grandpa moved down to the second floor. I remember open, airy rooms with high ceilings. I have very happy memories of being in this house with Grandpa and his dogs.
Rear View 910 Morrison Avenue
The rear of the house is different. Grandpa had the back closed off with a garage where he kept his Thunderbird. Every other year, Grandpa would buy a new Thunderbird. I come by my love of Pontiacs honestly via Grandpa.
The house has basements--two as I remember it. They are a necessary item given the frequent tornados that occur in the Saint Louis area. I went into them only when Grandpa took me down there which wasn't too often. However, the dogs who had the run of the house, would flat out run down the flights of stairs and go to the basement door, which had a doggie door in it. You could hear them clattering down another flight of stairs below and they would come out in the backyard via the outdoor basement doors. They barked and pounded the stairs and floors most of the way so it was easy to figure out where they were in their dash for the backyard.
Pamela Treme
August 2012


No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.